The History of Angeldale Guest House
Built around 1871 Angeldale is a spacious Victorian house with a garden to match. The house played an interesting part in local history. Originally called Ashley House, it was built as a family home by Thomas Barker, a Dyer and Cotton Manufacturer (and Calder Valley poet) of Hangingroyd Mill. The house was passed on to his Son-in-law Joseph Thomas, also a Dyer, in 1890. It remained in his family until 1956 when it was acquired by Yorkshire Electricity for grandiose offices.
During war years soldiers were billeted in the mills and the Ministry of Works leased the house. WRVS used the house to provide hospitalities to the Royal Engineers. After the war the house was used as the local National Insurance and Dole Office. In 1971 the house was converted into a rest home for the elderly and again changed hands in 1985 when it was renamed Linden House after the four large, mature trees in the grounds. Christine and Stephen bought and refurbished the house in 2000 for B&B, renaming it Angeldale. There are often guests who have come to research their local family histories and at Angeldale they find a kindred spirit in Christine whose ancestors were Pennine mill owners and local dignitaries.